Monday 16 January 2017

Day 14


It is hard to write down all of the memory’s I’ve made through these amazing two weeks in Belize because I feel like words wouldn’t be sufficient to express what I’ve experienced. I have met wonderful people, heard the stories and struggles of their lives, grew closer to the girls who share the same passion as I do, and, most importantly, fell in love with the country and people of Belize. Going into this trip I thought that I was going to be giving back to the people of Belize. Little did I know that I would be taught so much more than I could have taught them. I learned to say “yes” to new experiences. During our first week in Belize, we were given opportunities to participate in a variety of activities. We were able to snorkel at the second largest barrier reef in the world. I saw many species of different fish and sea life that I didn’t know existed. It made me realize that there is much more to life than meets the eye. We kayaked in Ranguana Caye, where the waters were clear enough to see fish and massive sting rays float right under you without a care in the world. We swam with nurse sharks and sting rays off the coast of the Caulker Caye. Though I squeaked and squealed every time a shark swam right by me, I am really glad I was able to witness these harmless animals in their natural habitat. “If you respect the animals, the animals will respect you”, said the tour guide. We went tubing into ancient caves that held many years of Mayan beliefs. I was in awe of the vast size and beauty as we floated in the same area the Mayans had worshiped their nine gods of the underworld. We went ziplining through the jungles and over rivers appreciating the nature that was right beside us. We visited the Belize zoo which housed animals that were rescued or endangered. I was able to take pictures of “Junior” the leopard as he stood three feet away from the fence that separated us. Last, but certainly not least, we visited Altun Ha. The Mayan Ruins and history was overwhelmingly beautiful and so rich with history and culture. All of these experiences may be once and a life time for all of us and I am really glad we had the opportunity to experience them. I learned not to take things for granted. During our many road trips to different cities within the country, I would observe the local people outside of the window. Most of what I saw broke my heart. Many of the houses had palm branches as roofs and open windows and doors because there was no air conditioning. I wasn’t even sure if some of these homes had indoor plumbing or electricity. It made me realize how little I think about the things that are second nature to me. I don’t have to worry about the rain or wind destroying my home or if I’m going to have a warm meal at night. I don’t have to worry about clean water or how I am going to get from place to place. I also don’t have to worry about something as simple as a sharpened pencil at school or splitting an eraser because there is only one for the whole classroom. Those who were around me may have to, day in and day out. I learned how to put myself in someone else’s shoes. I met many people during my trip and each one of them had a different story to tell. I met a fisherman who would fish for weeks on end, unable to see his family until his job was done. I met tour guides who desperately wanted to continue their education to better themselves but could not quit their job because they were the only source of income for their family. I met a local shop owner who desperately wanted to learn English to provide him and his family a better life and fearing that his children will have a hard time finding work because of their lack of English. I met a young girl at one of the schools we visited in Punta Gorda. She spent her entire Christmas break working with her mom to provide food for her family. All she really wanted was to be at home for her break and not work. Though my heart hurt for many of those I talked to, I found myself falling in love with the values and drive that most of them possessed. I will always keep their spirit in my heart. I learned to be confident in myself. Though our first week of experiencing the country’s activities was great, the second week with the students at Stella Maris was the reason this trip was unforgettable. As a beginning clinician, I always wondered if I was really making a difference or if I even knew what I was doing. But as soon as I was able to interact with my classroom and meet the teachers, it felt like I was born to do speech therapy. I was able to focus on the specific needs of the students with communication difficulties and educate the teachers on helpful tips and tricks to carry on after I left back home. I learned the importance of collaboration. I did not realize how much I use the printer for activities in therapy. It is so much easier to press one button and wait for the paper rather than taking three hours to create what could have taken 30 seconds to print. It is amazing what a room full of future speech therapists and a suitcase full of arts and crafts supplies can create. I was able to identify my strengths and work on my weaknesses when it came to producing therapy material from nothing. We are definitely spoiled by SuperDuper and Teachers pay Teachers. I also really enjoyed getting to know the undergraduates for TAMIU. I was blessed to have had a great partner during out time at Stella Maris. She really was the ying to my yang. I learned that a little does go a long way. Though we had a short week at Stella Maris, my heart was glued to my nine students (ages 12-16). I got to witness a transformation in the way a deaf student communicated as well as seeing him come out of his shell. During the first day, he used to not want to even look my direction but on the final day, he would grunt to catch my attention, sign “come play”, and beat me at tic- tac-toe no matter how many times we played. I spent one-on-one time with a student who was unintelligible and taught him to move his “speech machine.” I was able to help a student learn progressive -ing verbs during a sentence activities. The little bit of help these students desperately needed, did go a long way. The little bit of knowledge I was able to give the teachers did go a long way. The activities the undergraduate and I made to facilitate hands-on learning during class did go a long way. The love that each student and teacher in my classroom showed me throughout the week, really went a long way. I will never forget the way I felt everyday walking into that classroom. I will always remember the look on their faces as we introduced a new activity to them. I used to think that the term “life-changing” was cliché but because of those nine smiling faces I am forever changed. I am changed as clinician, I am changed as a student and I am changed as a person. The last day being there was filled with tears and heavy hearts as my classmates and I told our students goodbye. Our hearts were heavy knowing that our lives would move on when we headed back home and they will remain at Stella Maris. As I hugged my teacher, Ms. Ferguson, goodbye she said, “It’s never goodbye, Ashleigh. Its see you later.” I welled up with tears and told all of them, “see you later.” I fell in love with everything Belize had to offer and I know it is not goodbye. It’s a “see you later.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment